Friday, August 20, 2010

Will my BMW pass smog with the airbag light on?

I have a 2000 BMW Z3 and I need to go have it smog tested. I live in San Diego, CA (not sure what is required to pass in SD). The airbag light is on, do you think that will cause my car to not pass smog?



Will my BMW pass smog with the airbag light on?computers



The Airbag light ''on'' means'' that there is a problem with the air Bag. To pass the CA SMOG Test, your OBD-II car needs to have a diagnistic readout made by connecting a special cable to the 16 pin Diagnostic Connector under the dash. The CHECK ENGINE light must do 3 things: It must come ''on'' with the key ''ON'' and engine ''OFF; The CHECK ENGINE light must go off within 4 seconds after the engine starts. The CHECK ENGINE light must stay off during the entire SMOG Check, or as long as the engine is running. A CHECK ENGINE light that never comes on, may need a new light bulb, but the car will fail the CA SMOG test, regardless.



Will my BMW pass smog with the airbag light on?hijack this



I also have a z3, great car isn't it?



At any rate, your car has a computer... simply call around to a parts store and most will have a diagnotics device which will interface with your car and tell you exactly what error is causing your airbag light to come on. If it's not smog related (which, with BMW, who knows...) then it PROBABLY won't cause any issues with registration/smogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment