Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Honda versus BMW?

I'm considering a used vehicle under 23k. I can get a 06 Honda Civic SI with hardly any miles or a 04-05 BMW 3 series with around 23k miles on it. The Civic would be standard and auto for the Bimmer to keep in that price range. Any opinions on the two as a comparison?



Honda versus BMW?virus scan



I know when I was looking at cars the last time ('way back in the last century) I drove a lot of cars, and then I drove a BMW. There was simply no comparison. If you enjoy driving -- even at less than breakneck speeds -- BMWs are superb cars.



However... yes, they do cost more than a Civic to maintain, unless you get extremely lucky, and the car you are looking at almost certainly gets poorer gas mileage than a Honda. A Civic may also have more space inside, so depending on your habits and hobbies, that may be a consideration. Only a great sadist makes a tall person ride in the back of a 3-series.



I would take a look at your financial situation, and what you need to use a car for, and way those in your mind. If the Civic isn't the clear winner, go to a BMW dealership and take out any three series for a spin.



Of course, that means you'll buy the BMW. 8*)



Honda versus BMW?anti virus scan



I would go with Civic SI because of manual transmission. BMW 3 series are usually abused cars. With auto-transmission, don't expect the tranny to last over 100K. Your chances are better if you go with 5 series or 7 series. Even if car is not abused, these ZF auto tranny don't last as long. I've seen many of these fail around 150K miles, and they are pain in the butt to replace.

No comments:

Post a Comment